Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Reading Notes: Beowulf, Part A

I am so excited to be reading Beowulf this week! I loved studying the epic in my high school literature classes, but have had very little exposure to the story since then. For Myth and Folklore, we are reading from Stafford Riggs' The Story of Beowulf, which is a modern prose adaptation of the epic. In reading Part A, I have already identified several aspects of Beowulf that I would like to further explore and retell in this week's writing.

In Part A, I especially enjoyed reading The Young Beowulf, as I think the excerpt does a wonderful job of characterizing Beowulf, and allowing readers to predict his actions and reactions throughout the rest of the story. As I write my own story this week, I want to further develop The Young Beowulf, adding detail to his internal narrative, and highlighting more of his passions and motivations.


The Young Beowulf
From the time Beowulf was small, his potential as a great warrior was obvious. He was quickly sent to live with his uncle, the King Hygelac, who helped him to develop his strength. As a teen, though, Beowulf was frustrated. He knew that he was strong and powerful, but was given few opportunities to test his strength. He was ridiculed by many of his peers, and just wanted an opportunity to prove himself. Eventually, he was challenged to a swimming race, in which he spent five nights conquering the sea's icy waters. His success in that race contributed to better treatment, but still, he wanted more. 

Eventually, Beowulf earned a seat at the King's table, and was heralded as a great warrior, despite never having faced war. This caused other lords to murmur against him, claiming that the King's nepotism was the only reason for Beowulf's position of favor. An old sage defended Beowulf, claiming that his future was written in the stars. Beowulf did not hear this conversation, however, and continue to sit dreaming of bigger, more fierce battles. 

I love that this story sheds doubt on Beowulf, allowing readers to wonder what comes next for him, and if he can truly prove himself. I would like to try retelling this portion of the epic in first person, in order to better capture Beowulf's thoughts and feelings. 

1 comment:

  1. Jessie,
    I also read Beowulf in High school and found it really enjoyable! I chose to read another unit for my readings, so I enjoyed reading your notes. I think its neat how you plan to elaborate even more on the character of young Beowulf because that really sets the stage for the rest of the story and the events that will transpire!

    ReplyDelete