Thursday, March 29, 2018

Reading Notes: Myths of the Cherokee, Part B

So far this week, I have enjoyed reading from our Native American Stories unit. Specifically, I am reading Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney, which I chose due to my interest in Cherokee culture - a result of growing up in Oklahoma. In my reading, I have been exposed to both old and new stories, many of which have great potential for reinterpretation for this week's writing assignments.

Today, I enjoyed reading a Cherokee legend called The Race Between the Crane and the Hummingbird. In this story, reminiscent of the Tortoise and the Hare, the Crane and the Hummingbird are racing to win the love of a beautiful woman. The ending upset me; I might like to reimagine the story in a new and more pleasant way.


The Race Between the Crane and the Hummingbird
Both birds were in love with the same beautiful woman. The woman wanted to be with the Hummingbird, as he was fast and beautiful, and the Crane was ugly and slow. Nonetheless, the Crane was determined to win the woman's hand, and continued to pursue her. Ultimately, the woman decided to challenge the two birds; the winner would be her partner. She chose to make them race, trusting that the speedy Hummingbird could easily win. Little did she know, the Crane could fly much longer without resting.

The birds begin flying around the world in a race. The Hummingbird is beating the Crane easily, and stops to rest for the night. The Crane keeps flying, and passes the Hummingbird before midnight. The Hummingbird awakens and overtakes the Crane again, but the cycle continues until the Crane is well in the lead. When the Crane wins, however, the woman refuses to marry him, preferring loneliness to the Crane's lack of beauty.

My issue with this story is that the woman's choice was entirely unfair to the Crane. He worked hard to gain her favor, followed her instructions, and was successful. Still, she would not marry him. Ultimately, I am uncomfortable with the story ending with a lack of justice. If I were to rewrite the story, I would either change the heart of the woman so that she loves the Crane in the end, or I would curse her for breaking her agreement for shallow and selfish reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment