Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Reading Notes: Myths of the Cherokee, Part A

This week, our reading unit for Myth and Folklore is Native American Stories. Having lived all of my life in Oklahoma, I am familiar with many myths and legends of the Cherokee people. I decided to read the Myths of the Cherokee unit, written by James Mooney, this week, to refresh my current knowledge, and potentially learn more Cherokee legends with which I was previously unfamiliar.

In today's reading, I was drawn to one particular story, called The Moon and the Thunders. In one portion of the legend, readers learn how the moon got its spots. I was displeased with the direction the original story took, and am interested in rewriting it this week.


The Moon and the Thunders
This legend begins by describing the Sun and Moon as brother and sister. The Sun is a maiden that lives in the east, while the Moon, her brother, resides in the west. The Sun is being courted by a mysterious suitor, who comes to visit her once a month. The suitor only visits in the dark, so the Sun has never seen his face, and does not even know his name. The Sun decides that she will discover her suitor's identity by secretly smearing ashes on his face, and looking for them again the next day. 

The Sun succeeds in her plan, and is shocked the next evening to see ashen spots on the face of her brother, the Moon. The Moon is ashamed that his sister has learned the truth, and begins avoiding her by staying far behind her, and remaining only a thin ribbon when he is forced to come close. 

I had several hangups with this story, especially the implication that the Moon was hitting on his sister! I will need to do more research to learn if such intermarriage is common in Cherokee tradition, in which case, the Moon's romantic interest in his sibling would make more sense. Regardless, if I rewrite the story, I will probably change the relationship between the Sun and the Moon so that their romance is more traditional, and may even allow them to find happiness, in place of an uncomfortable situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment