Thursday, April 12, 2018

Reading Notes: Beowulf, Part B

Today I finished reading Beowulf, which came from Stafford Riggs' The Story of Beowulf, which is a modern prose adaptation of the classic epic. I greatly appreciated Riggs' adaptation of the work, but realized that I had forgotten much of the story since reading it in high school. As I read the conclusion of Beowulf, I was frustrated with the direction of the plot, and might explore changes to that plot as I write this week.

Throughout Part B, I found myself annoyed with the last four sections of reading (The Arrival of the Dragon, Preparing for Battle, Battle with the Dragon, and The End of Beowulf), which described Beowulf's life after his defeat of Grendel and Grendel's mother. Overall, I felt that the story continued for too long after its climax, and that ultimately, Beowulf's death did not feature the drama or honor that I felt it deserved. If I choose to rewrite this portion of Beowulf, I intend to write his death such that it better fits with my perspective of the epic.


The Arrival of the Dragon, Preparing for Battle, Battle with the Dragon, and The End of Beowulf
In The Arrival of the Dragon, many years have passed since Beowulf conquered Grendel and his mother. Beowulf has become king of Geatsland, which is thriving under his reign. Beowulf has had some adventures in the meantime, but as he is approaching the last season of his life, he is feeling somewhat bored. During a banquet in his great hall, a peasant suddenly arrives to report that he has found a terrifying dragon, which guards a great treasure.

Beowulf decides that he and his closest men will attack the dragon, claiming the treasure for their own. The find the dragon in its lair in the woods, and Beowulf insists upon fighting alone. Despite fighting valiantly, Beowulf is quickly injured by the dragon, at which point his best friend, Wiglaf, steps in to kill the beast. However, it is too late for Beowulf, who dies and is given a traditional Norse funeral.

My issue with this conclusion is that it is given far less plot development than Beowulf's battle against Grendel and the monster's mother. If Beowulf could conquer them both, why was he unable to kill a dragon? I love that he was given a highly ceremonial funeral, which celebrates his bravery and strength, but I think the circumstances of his death were not true to his characterization up to that point. If I reimagine the conclusion of Beowulf's story, he will likely die peacefully after a long and successful reign as king.

No comments:

Post a Comment