Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Reading Notes: Nursery Rhymes, Part A

This week, I went in a different direction with my reading choices. We are still working out of our British Isles unit in Myth and Folklore, and I was intrigued by the option to read nursery rhymes. I ultimately opted for selections from The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang, with illustrations from L. Leslie Brooke. While I was familiar with a handful of the rhymes, and ultimately enjoyed the reading, I quickly realized that I had unwittingly stumbled across a challenge for this week. I am most comfortable with writing short, episodic prose, but these rhymes are typically very short, humorous, and of course, rhythmic. I have some doubts about my ability to write in this style, but am excited to test myself with this week's storytelling.


What I found most fascinating about Part A was how many of the rhymes have dark themes, such as Babes in the Wood, Punch and Judy, and Solomon Grundy. As I write, I want to capture that essence of the rhymes, emphasizing a light tone while exploring a heavier idea.

Babes in the Wood
This rhyme tells the story of two children who were kidnapped and left in the woods to die. It relays their fear and tears over their fate, and even describes how their corpses were treated by the woodland animals. I struggle to think that such content was once considered suitable for children, and would like to learn more about the nature of this story. Was it meant as a warning to children, or as some sort of social commentary?

Punch and Judy
This is a very short rhyme, only four lines, and tells of Punch giving his wife, Judy, a black eye over a pie. Typically, Punch and Judy puppet shows include depictions of violence, yet are considered humorous. Again, I cannot help but question if this is truly child-friendly content.

Solomon Grundy
Another short rhyme, Solomon Grundy tells how Solomon was born, married, and died over the course of a week. I can't seem to derive any deeper message or commentary from this one, although I have heard previous references to it in popular culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment