Sunday, February 4, 2018

Topic Research: Divine Brothers - Jupiter, Neptune, and Pluto

Last week, I brainstormed potential topics for this semester's Storybook. One topic in which I am particularly interested is exploring the "experiences of the individuals responsible for creating natural phenomena," inspired by Shel Silverstein's Somebody Has To. Feedback on that branch of brainstorming has led me to a somewhat different, but still related topic. In researching mythological explantations for weather patterns and other natural systems, I naturally found stories of traditional Greek and Roman deities, who are said to be responsible for the behaviors of the sun and moon, wind and sea.

While Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades may be the more familiar identities of these three brothers, I prefer to recognize them as Jupiter, Neptune, and Pluto. I intend for my stories to take place primarily in space, which each of the gods ruling over his own planetary kingdom, along with his share of Earth. As I write, my preferences for their Roman interpretations will become more apparent, with some storylines inspired by the Roman poet Ovid and his Metamorphoses.


I intend to devote a story to each of the three brothers, with the main conflict of the story pertaining to his domain on Earth. In each episode, the god will be motivated by a conflict he witnesses related to the earth/underworld, sea, and sky, respectively. All three of the gods will be featured in all three of the stories, however. For example, Pluto's portion may be about the destruction of natural resources, or humanity's fear (or lack thereof) regarding death. Neptune's story might center around rising sea levels, or focus on his role as a god of horses. Jupiter's chapter could give explanation for recent storms, or denounce high levels of air pollution. While environmental stewardship could be a theme that unites the three stories, I will continue to research possible options, and how to connect them into a cohesive unit.


No comments:

Post a Comment