Thursday, February 15, 2018

Reading Notes: Folklore of the Holy Land, Part B

This week, I have been continuing my reading of the Folklore of the Holy Land, from the book Folklore of the Holy Land: Moslem, Christian, and Jewish by J.E. Hanauear. I have enjoyed the unfamiliar interpretations of the Biblical stories I know well. Today's reading, while still featuring some Biblical characters, were more like fables than parables.

I enjoyed two stories in particular, neither of which seemed especially Biblical in nature, despite featuring Solomon (Suleyman) as a main character. The first, in which two pigeons are turned to stone by Solomon, seems to have important implications today. The second, which tells of a "destroyer plant," could be retold as a more explanatory legend than it was in the reading.


Two Stone Pigeons 
In one of the stories, Solomon overhears the bragging of a male pigeon as it tells a female pigeon "I could kick [Solomon's buildings] down in a minute." Solomon rebukes the male pigeon, but forgives him when it become clear that the pigeon was only trying to impress his female companion. The pigeon flies away from Solomon, only to brag once again. Ultimately, Solomon turns both the pigeons to stone in his anger.

Such a story could be told many times over today. A weaker man takes credit for the works of a stronger man in order to impress a lady, only to have the stronger man become furious when he discovers the dishonesty. Perhaps I will explore this thread in my writing this week.


Destroyer Plant
When I first read of the plant called "El Kharrub," whose name means the destroyer, I immediately thought of ivy. The reading says that Solomon, who was a master green-thumb, discovered the plant, which told Solomon it had been sent to "destroy thy works." In the context of the previous story, in which the pigeons referred to Solomon's buildings, my interpretation was that it must be a plant that would pull down Solomon's architecture.

While the original story did not play out this way, I believe it could easily be rewritten to explain why ivy exists, why it climbs walls, and why it is ultimately destructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment